Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Tuesday Morning

What a day today has been! The kids and I have been out and about all morning! We started off the day with a trip to Tuesday Morning. I hadn't been in there in such a long time and had forgotten just how much I love that store, a little too much I'm afraid. We originally made the trip because I had to buy a Rowenta iron at 50% off. I paid full price for this iron at Target two weeks ago. I bought the iron to give to my sis as a wedding gift. My plan was to breeze into Tuesday morning, quickly grab the item and make my way to Target to get my money back for the initial purchase. Things did not go as planned, as the kids and I spent over an hour walking through the aisles, oohing and ahhing at the many fun things they had there. I had to really practice self control to not buy too much. I saw all kinds of things that would make the best baby shower gifts, Christmas gifts, toys for the kids, and things for my house.

Things I bought:
1) The iron

2) Some $1.99 sidewalk chalk,

3) A $5.99 soap-making kit, which will be stored in our craft box for a rainy day.

Things I did not buy, but looked very cool:
1) My own half-price Rowenta iron (These things are the greatest!!),

2) A $7.99 bucket of sidewalk chalk,

3) Wooden blocks that were especially made for constructing cities (They were very detailed and were high quality specialty blocks from Germany.),

4) Some cute ice cream bowls that were multi-colored and looked like cupcake liners. These made me think of Traci.,

5)A football piggy bank (It had a little football player that kicked your coins down a football field and into the bank and would have been a perfect gift for my nephew, Landon.)

6)Some sweet little baby items for the next shower I attend. (There were so many cute things, but I decided not to buy since I didn't have a particular baby shower in mind.)

7)New pillows

8)A crystal making kit-- another rainy day project (It was 60% off and just looked like so much fun!)

9)A fully stocked Victorian dollhouse (for a steal might I add!), but Mary Alice does not really need a dollhouse.

10) A cardboard throne. (This I could envision in a classroom. If I were a teacher of young children, I would have definitely bought this. It was just so cool... and very cheap!!)

11) Candles (Again, don't really need these.)

12) Gardening gloves for the kids (I just almost bought these because they were so cute, but decided not to splurge on them.)

It was very hard not to buy the things I wanted for me, but even harder to not buy the things that I thought the kids would really like. I kept thinking, I know I'll never see another cool (fill in the blank) for this price again. The kids would have so much fun with it. Instead, I told them (and myself) that it wasn't their birthday, so we weren't really buying things for them. This is the line I use most often at the store when they request an item that we don't really need. "Maybe you can ask for that for your birthday?" Today, when Major would ask if we could please get this really cool whatever, Mary Alice would say, "Maybe you can ask for that for your birthday, Major." That made it a little bit easier.

Actually.... come to think of it... my birthday is coming up in a few weeks. Perhaps I DO NOT need to make a trip to Tuesday morning around that time. It could be disastrous! :)

On with our day.... We left Tuesday Morning and went to Target to return the overpriced Rowenta iron. We got our money back!! I was very happy about the saving of around $30!

After running around all morning I felt guilty about being out having fun while Josh had been working so hard. The kids and I went outside to pull weeds. There are plenty of them in our yard right now! It is a jungle out there! The kids helped me with the weeds for a little while, then sat in the shade and played with their chalk. It was getting hot outside, so I told them to go put on their swimming suits. They played with the water hose for about an hour while I pulled weeds. They filled up our old bucket and bobbed for apples and took turns squirting each other off and jumping in the mud. Every time I looked over at the kids I had to tell Major to pull up his trunks. They kept falling down with the weight of the water.

We had a fabulous Tuesday morning. I think we'll just stay home tonight.

4 comments:

Miranda said...

Apparently his birthday swim trunks from Chad and me are a little too big! Hehe

Unknown said...

I LOVE that store! I have to seriously restrain myself when I go in there. I used to buy all of my club "little sis" presents there because you could buy so much for so little. I hope you took pictures of your kids playing outside! How much fun is that?

Traci said...

You have sold me on going to Tuesday Morning tomorrow! Only it will be Wednesday morning..... I'm going to get those ice cream bowls if our store has them. Kylie told me that we needed ice cream bowls last summer!

Thanks for the cool tips!

Erica said...

I adore Tuesday Morning! It ranks almost as high as Target on my list of great places to look/shop. I might have to go tomorrow and see if they have any cute plastic plates and cups. I envision us eating outside a lot this summer. Glad you all had a fun day!