Monday, April 30, 2007

Back From Minnesota...

Millie and Me On the Plane



At the Airport


On the shuttle bus



Well, I'm back. The conference was INCREDIBLE, as expected. I learned so many new things. I am pumped up! I have always been passionate about teaching children the Bible, but returned from Minnesota with a renewed sense of purpose and vision. This conference gave me so much to think about. It reignited my passion for teaching my own children the Bible at home. It helped me to get back on track with the kids' Scripture memorization. It helped me to remember that I need to have reading the Bible as a daily top priority. There were so many phenomenal speakers, teachers, leaders at this conference. It was encouraging to see all of these Christians that were so passionate about God and about the next generation knowing Him and loving Him. I got a mega-boost of joy knowing that there are so many children out there who are being taught the Scriptures so intentionally and with such depth! It gives me such hope for the future of the church. The church that hosted this conference states that they would like their children to be "Bible-saturated". This is so in line with what I believe. I am not an "AMEN"er, but if I were, I know I would have been shouting it out! :)

We often hear our children being referred to as little "sponges". Yes, they are. The question is, what are we going to "fill them up with"? Are they going to absorb the lines to their favorite movie/television show or their favorite Bible verses? Are they going to learn all about Little House On The Prairie (in our case) or about God and his plan of salvation? I am increasingly convicted of my duty as a mother to instruct my children. This conference just gave me the kick in the pants I needed to get up and start training them! One of the speakers used the illustration of a sponge. He talked about how our children are like the sponge, absorbing everything in sight. He said that at their church, they aim to fill their children up with so much Bible that, when squeezed.... Bible comes pouring out. When kids sleep, they want them to dream about Bible. When they are pricked, they want them to bleed Bible. When they play, they want them to think about Bible. Bible saturated kids...... What a concept! That is certainly something to aspire to.

I won't go on too much about the conference....in this post... :) I'll just include a few pictures and relay some of what I learned at the conference on another post. I didn't take as many pictures as I would have liked to. :( I wanted so badly to get some good pics of John Piper and C.J. Mahaney, but thought that it would be rude to take pictures during their lessons. I didn't have very many photo opportunities as we were either 1.sitting in a lecture area, 2.sitting on a bus, 3.sitting on a plane, 4. sitting somewhere else. There were no picturesque spots inside the church or hotel where we were staying. I carried my super-heavy camera around and only managed to get a few pictures. :( Oh well, better a few than none at all!

I met a few new friends, interesting girls. I told Josh that it is not often that I go somewhere with ten other girls and find, that I feel I could be good friends with any one of them! They were all such amazing women. We are planning a little reunion this summer. It is such a blessing to have friends like this!



Front: Jennifer, Lamar, Julie, Gabrielle,Heather Back: Tamra, Me, Kathryn, Millie, Kaye

Not pictured: My good friend, Jenni, who had to leave early for a wedding :(

7 comments:

Kim said...

Amber,
It all sounds so wonderful! What a tremendous blessing!

It sounds like you learned a lot and received great motivation to do what really matters. I love the idea of saturating our children with the Bible!!! I am there with you on that!

I'm glad you are home safely! I prayed for you! : )

Your Friend,

Kim

Amy said...

Isn't it great that we can still get camp-high as adults? I love reading about your enthusiasm from the conference and feel inspired right along with you. Hold on to it and pass along any nuggets of wisdom you rembember to those of us back home.

Nicole said...

I agree with Amy. When I was reading your blog I was thinking of a mountain top experience. It sounds amazing and I would love to learn anything that you care to share in future blog posts.

Anonymous said...

Amber, I really enjoyed talking with you yesterday!! I am SO happy that you had such an wonderful experience....my prayer is that God will use this past weekend to do amazing things in your life!

mcjacobsjournal said...

Oh, how I wish I could download every single thing you learned!! I hope you really do sit down for a few hours to blog about the inspiring days you spent there. I know we can all use a "kick in the pants" (as you described it) as Mommies!

I love the concepts of their curriculum and have been considering ordering some of it for our home....I'll have to talk to you about it and see where to start! Thanks for sharing. And, I'm so glad you are back safe and sound to your sweet family. :)

Alyssa said...

As always, you inspire me to be a better mother! It sounds like a great trip....maybe you could teach a little course to some of us sometime??? :)

Kim said...

I tagged you! Come see!

Kim