Monday, April 09, 2007

Easter Sunday

Yesterday, our family celebrated Easter. On Saturday night, after the kids were in bed, I ventured out to the local pharmacy to scrounge around for some candy for our Easter egg hunt. I hung my head in shame as I hurriedly rummaged through the clearance Easter candy, knowing that I deserved the "Lame Mom" Award for waiting until the very last minute to buy our Easter goodies. I spied one small bag of plastic easter eggs hidden beneath a large basket and quickly grabbed a couple of bags of half price Easter candy. I was happy to have purchased the only remaining plastic eggs, but realized that so few eggs would make for a very short hunt. I made my way across the street to another pharmacy to find more plastic eggs. I flew out of that store with the eggs just as they were locking up the doors for the night. Whew!

The next morning, Josh made breakfast for the family. While we ate, he talked with the kids about the reason that we celebrate Easter. Later, Mary Alice asked me why in the world we hunt eggs if we are supposed to be celebrating Jesus rising from the dead? I tried to explain the whole symbolism between new life, eggs, etc. and finally just told her that we just hunt eggs to be fun, that it is just something fun to do on Easter.

I don't think the egg explanation made much sense to her. She did understand when I finally told her that "We just hunt eggs for fun." I think she gets confused by the whole "Easter bunny" thing. We don't really do the "Easter bunny" at our house. The kids know that we hide the eggs and they find them. Mary Alice must have heard her friends talking about the "Easter bunny" . How do I explain this to her? Frankly, Easter is sometimes confusing to me. Bunnies+eggs+Resurrection = confusion.

Mary Alice is starting to ask questions for which I don't always have a good answer. For example, when I tried to explain the "new life" concept about eggs and chicks, she said, "Okay, so you're saying that you and Daddy have a new life that Jesus gave you....."

"When you decided that you wanted to follow Jesus?"

"Yes." I said.

"And be baptized?"

"Yes."

"....And you can have eternal life because of Jesus?"


"Yes." I said.

"When will I be baptized?" she said.

"Some day when you are old enough." I responded.

Then, with a pitiful face that looked like she was about to cry she said, "So you mean that I don't have a new life and I don't have eternal life with Jesus because I'm not old enough?"

What do you say to that? I told her that Jesus tells adults that he wants us to have hearts like children. I told her that because she is a child who loves and wants to serve Jesus, I believe that she does have eternal life. UGH!!! Yikes!!! Mary Alice and her questions wear me out sometimes!! What do you tell your children when they ask you things like this??? Anyone???

(By the way, I'm not trying to offend anyone who does do the "Easter bunny" at their house. We choose not do the Easter bunny for no reason other than that it is something that we don't really care about, not because of any religious beliefs on the subject. Just thought I'd make that clear.)


Mary Alice on the night before Easter

Easter morning before church (Isn't Josh handsome?)


After church, we ate lunch and hunted for eggs in our front yard. Major would hand his eggs to Mary Alice when he found ones that were pink or purple, explaining that they were "girl eggs". Notice the tacky gift bags. I do this every year. I never want to spend money on an Easter basket that I will have to store all year, so I just have the kids grab a gift bag from storage. They don't seem to mind. The kids came inside after the egg hunt and played tackle football. We all ate some of their candy and then laid down for a Sunday afternoon nap! This was my kind of Easter Sunday...being with my sweet family all day, church, chocolate, and a Sunday afternooon nap! Perfect!




Major hunting eggs

Hunting for eggs


The girl and her Easter bag


Off goes the Easter dress...Time for a game of tackle football!


My crazy girl




9 comments:

Jordan said...

At least you had an Easter Egg Hunt. We decided the snow was a good deterent and just dyed some eggs instead. Of course, now I have 14 boiled eggs that I have no idea what to do with! :) I really enjoy reading about your sweet family!
Jordan McCall
P.S. Mary Alice's dress was absolutely beautiful! I love "girly-girl" dresses.

Melanie said...

Love love love the family pic! Would have looked good with you in it too!!

Jacinda said...

Wow! Mary Alice sounds A LOT like my 6 year old, Gracie! She can ask some TOUGH questions! Chris & I both think she will want to be baptized at a young age. We talk about it with her from time to time while at the same time trying not to dwell on it because I don't want to "scare" her into doing it. Does that make sense?

I try to mainly say that we will go to Heaven if we're faithful to God and that she'll learn more about that as she gets older. She knows about repentance and baptism and that the water represents Jesus' blood and will wash away sins when baptized b/c we have talked about it but I know she doesn't really understand it all yet and that's okay because she's 6.

I have also said something before about how those who are faithful AND little children like her will go to Heaven (so I hope that helps her not to worry about not being baptized since she is still a young child) and I told her that she is being faithful as best as she knows how at this point in her life. Whenever I talk about baptism I try to say things like, "Hopefully one day you will make the decision to follow Christ and then you'll......." and let her help me tell the rest of it including repentance & baptism, etc. It's important to me that she see faith, repentance & baptism as all important to becoming a Christian so I try to talk about it all together.

I think it's important to teach these things to her but I don't want to "scare" her into doing it. I know none of us ever truly understand EVERYTHING so I don't expect her to get to a place of full understanding before she gets baptized but I would like for her to have more understanding of it than she has right now.

Does that make any sense?!?!

Amber Smith said...

Jordan-
What a pleasure to get to hear from you!! We have been praying for you and are so happy that you are feeling so much better! Egg salad sandwiches, perhaps??


Melanie-
Me in the family picture? Not happening. For your information, I was wearing my "baking powder" sweater along with the pants that "look like roasted chicken".

Jacinda-
I'm just glad to hear that I am not alone in my inability to answer my kids' questions! They are so tough sometimes! Thanks for your explanation and ideas of what your family does with Gracie. I'll agree that simpler is better. I'm with you about not wanting to scare my kids, but yet wanting to convey important truths.

Anonymous said...

What a sweet conversation to have with your child. As a grandmother I now feel different about baptism than when my children were little. These questions I ask.
1. What examples do we find in scripture of baptism?
2. What ages are the examples in scripture?
3. With my children, I always felt the two most important decisions they'd ever make were, who they married and if they chose to be a christian. Would we let a child chose who they marry?
I think we've scared to many children into the act of baptism. They actually choose who they'll follow WHEN they're behind the wheel driving themselves.

Now, I'd never refuse if they felt the desire to do it. It can be repeated!...I'm waiting for my 24 yr. old to repeat it as he confessed he did it because his friends did it!..........Parenting is such fun..... a little twist from a grandmother!

jenny biz said...

Really...could your kids be any cuter??? I have dealt with the same questions from Malaya. I will email ya':)
You are such a wonderful momma!!

Erica said...

Mary alice and major look adorable! I just love that you curl Mary Alice's hair like my Mom use to curl mine every Saturday night, its so pretty.

At least you got some good deals running around at the last minute:) Glad your Easter was a happy and memorable one.

Nicole said...

I love reading about your Easter, especially the last minute dash to the drug store! I, on the other hand, had way too much stuff that Terry had to ask me when I was going to stop buying things. :-)

We do not do the Easter Bunny at our house either. We do fill their baskets, but it is just from mommy and daddy. I figure that we "fib" about enough things (Santa, Tooth Fairy), that I'm dropping the Easter bunny from the list! It was funny, though, to see Emma's expression at church on Sunday morning when people asked her if the Easter Bunny came to visit. She was totally confused and didn't know how to answer.

Traci said...

I always love looking at your pictures of your kids. They are so adorable and happy all of the time! I'm going to send Kylie over there to learn some lessons from Mary Alice!